The End of the Royal Family of Oudh (Awadh or Ayodhya) in Malcha Mahal (New Delhi)

Posted by ROHIT JAIN on

The End of the Royal Family of Oudh (Awadh or Ayodhya) in Malcha Mahal (New Delhi)

I came around one of the articles about Malcha Mahal in New Delhi after the Prince Ali Raza had died mysteriously in Sept 2017 and I went and visited the place in December of 2017 when I went to India. I would love to share the story of this family. 
In forests in the heart of Delhi, a family of three claiming to be the last descendants of the royal family of Oudh or Awadh in Uttar Pradesh lived for years, isolated and cloaked in mystery. In September 2017 the last survivor of the family, Ali Raza, who claimed to be the prince of Oudh, died at the tumbledown structure that was "Malcha Mahal".

His body was found on September 2, in an old, broken-down couch at the "palace" allotted to his family by the government in 1985. The police believe he was about to have a meal when he died. He was found only two days later. The police reportedly waited for 72 hours for anyone to come and claim the body, but no one did.

The prince's sister Sakina had died some months ago in the 700-year-old building that has no doors or windows or even electricity and water.

The siblings made headlines in the 1990s when it was discovered that they had lived with their mother Begum Wilayat Mahal's corpse for weeks.

Princess Wilayat Mahal was the granddaughter of Nawab Wajid Ali Shah of Oudh. Nawab Wajid Ali deposed and his property was seized by Britishers in 1856 (at the time of the first revolt). The tenth and last Nawab of Awadh, Wajid Ali Shah, ruled for nine years till 1856, and died near Kolkata in 1887. 
Begum started to fight with the Indian Government for their property to have that back which is currently converted into a pharma research center.
Begum Wilayat Mahal along with her two children and few dogs confined herself to the VIP lounge of Railway Station in Delhi for 9 years, which was called "The One Room Palace". That’s when the Government decided to give them the Malcha Mahal . But sadly, by that time the Malcha Mahal didn’t provide all the luxuries that it used to. This was surely not less than a ghostly place full of lizards, snakes, and other insects.

Who possibly can live without water, electricity?The family had also cut themselves off from the outer world. This type of living condition would have an adverse effect on anyone.
The Begum, her son and daughter started living there in complete isolation, protected by ferocious dogs.

Ali Raza, who also called himself Cyrus, said his mother had consumed crushed diamonds from her jewels to kill herself in 1993.

Old pictures show the Begum posing inside the lodge, its beds and floors covered in Persian carpets, and expensive porcelain crockery laid out on a table. The building only had arches and anyone could walk in.

"She hung a metal sign outside: Entry restricted. Cautious of hound dogs. Proclamation: "Intruders shall be gundown"

The family fiercely guarded its privacy and let the dogs loose on "intruders". The three passionately believed in their exalted blue-blood status, strongly avoiding "commoners".

The prince's death was discovered only when a police team from Nagaland posted near the Malcha Mahal, told the Delhi police that he had not been spotted roaming the jungles for a while.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published